Sunday 9 December 2012

November Overview

Lots of reviews - online and on print!!

So, I've been keeping my promise to aim for more content and activity in the coming months, and even though this hasn't been evident on the site, I have been working on data sets behind the scenes to improve the articles that I'll continue to publish, and to have plenty to draw from in future.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--qflv1mtcA8/UIohkj5AfqI/AAAAAAAAAjs/lPWMAQixraE/s1600/Dog+And+Laptop.jpg

However, I'd still appreciate some more feedback from you all on how you'd like me to push the site moving forward. Consider Top 10's for me to do (the wackier, the better!), articles you'd like me to write on the WhingeBox for debate, and if you have any suggestions for my weekly pick I'd love to hear them...and if I agree with your choice, I'll review the film for you.

Of course, it will take a little longer for the site to evolve in the way I'm hoping (see last month's overview for more info) but watch this space...

Anyway, on to last month's activity. Not only were we fortunate once again, due to calendar layout, to have one extra review last month but a further ten of my reviews were published in a new zine straight out of Sheffield: 

Pick of the week - recap

http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/78/db/001cdb78_medium.jpegLee Tamahori's moving adaptation, Once Were Warriors, is an astutely handled indie-drama from New Zealand. By commanding some powerful performances form the main cast you are treated to a true insight into the effect your parenting has on your offspring, and how a sheltered view on existence can corrupt and destroy both ancestral heritage and family bonds.

http://www.hoboes.com/library/graphics/movies/Pi/Search%20for%20Truth.jpgWhat do you get if you cross art-house, mathematics, religion and agoraphobia? Pi is the astonishing result from, then first-time director, Darren Aranofsky. Bucking the trend of most intelligent dramas, this bravely crafted journey through the mind and soul of an experimental mathematician is the one of the most original films to be produced in the US.
http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/i/n/f/infernal-affairs-2002-33-g.jpgFan of Hong Kong Cinema? Love smart thrillers? Chomping at the bit now that the love affair John Woo had with eastern action is no more? Then you owe it to yourself to watch the incredible Infernal Affairs. Those of you who have seen the decent Hollywood remake, The Departed, will be familiar with the plot line, but this doesn't detract from the brilliance of the stellar cast and it's rightful earned place in the hearts of fans of eastern cinema.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/battle-royale/w1280/battle-royale.jpgBattle Royale has a name for itself. Sometimes for the wrong reasons, but all the same people are aware of it. This is not enough...if you haven't seen this, watch it now! In my opinion, this is one of the greatest movies of the new millennium and fine example of what can be achieved when challenging the simple sensibilities and brewing issues our society throws up today. 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PI33HoYmHz0/ThrhaGZqd9I/AAAAAAAAC10/7avrbsIUI5g/s1600/JamieR-cache.jpg
Michael Haneke's Hidden tailed off the month's reviews in style. We are gifted with a thoughtful but harrowing drama, playing with contrasting emotions and poisoned trust. With fantastic performances from the two excellent leads of Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche, the tension and paranoia slowly drags you to the edge of your set up until it's parting shot.   


First time published! 

There are still some copies available of The Eyelids Of Dawn Issue 1, an intriguing new zine published by a friend of mine, Dave Stockton, in Sheffield. Besides the absorbing artwork, captivating articles and enthralling stories and poems, there are some movie reviews from you one-and-only, friendly neighbourhood filmbore!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EPAVTTwiBwA/UK0vxnQTbVI/AAAAAAAAAEI/1V0p-gATLa0/s1600/eyelids+flyer.jpg
With a slightly more mainstream selection of films released this year, my contribution has meant that this is my first printed publication as a movie critic. Even though I feel I've evolved as a film journalist since I wrote these, I'm very proud to be part of such a thought provoking mag, and look forward to more releases in the near future.

So, please email me if you'd like me to reserve one of my last few copies (just £3.50!) and I can deliver to you when I see you next, or you can contact the editor and publisher of The Eyelids Of Dawn directly on freq13@gmail.com to order your edition. 


Thanks to you all for your continued support.
 
Charlie filmbore Pitt

And don't forget to leave comments below, tweet me @filmbore or post on my Facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment