Wednesday 9 January 2013

December Overview

2012...the year of Britain. 2013?...

The year of filmbore perhaps?. As promised, the content on this site will be growing over this year, and I'm still open to suggestions from you all on what you'd like to see.

The three main points will be:

1. More top tens will be on their way. A lot of data has been sifted through and some bizarre ideas have been sent. However, if you have any crazy top ten ideas please post them to the filmbore facebook page for all to see here or email topten@filmbore.co.uk

2. Pick a country will arrive at some point this year. Selections have been made, but there needs to be more investigation on the functionality to use to display the choices. This will be interactive however, where I will welcome arguments and debates on the selections made...and if your argument is sound enough and I'm convinced I will make changes!

3. More news articles will be posted to the site. I'll ensure throughout this year that I start to copy links and post small articles to recent news on indie films, British movies and world cinema. Also, I'll welcome any news that you may here too. Just email anything that you find to news@filmbore.co.uk




...not forgetting any gripes that you want me to discuss on the Whingebox, and the regular weekly picks that you've all enjoyed so far.

Back to the final month of 2012...here's a summary:


Pick of the week - recap

Newcomer Thomas Schubert leads the moving German drama Breathing, as directed by Karl Markovics. Schubert plays Roman, a troublesome, volatile young men serving a sentence in a juvenile detention centre for a crime he committed at a much younger age. But can a new position in an undertakers firm bring him the redemption he's searching for?

Trust me on this...Wild Bill isn't your bread-and-butter Brit Gangster film! Dexter Fletcher has taken a turn in the director's chair to piece together a cracking story, a wonderful cast and a heartfelt movie that's difficult not to love. Charlie Creed-Miles finally gets the lead he has always deserved, and a new star is found with Will Poulter, who proves his worth as a young actor.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a household name these days, but not too long after he was just a twinkle in Third Rock..'s eye he took a turn in the excellently individual Brick. An acronym of the classic film-noir genre, a high school detective movie may not be your usual poison, but the humour and character depth explored in our lead turn Brick into an absolute one-off and soon-to-be cult picture.

Hector bites off more then he can chew when he accidentally gets into a time machine and sees his own recent past. His involvement starts a ripple of events that he may not be able to avoid. Timecrimes is one of the smartest and cleanest time travel stories you will ever see. Polar opposite to the incredibly complex Primer (see my review here) it's as equally unique.



...and keeping with Christmas spirit!

A new top ten was posted on Christmas Eve, listing my choices of the weirdest, oddest, most left field yuletide movies in existence. It was tough to choose (you'll see some great films in my Just Missed section at the bottom) but I think it's the most balanced top ten I could have put together.

But, that's not good enough. Argue this list! Please do! I want to hear your views in the comments section on the post, or start a thread on my filmbore facebook page. This list is put together with my own opinions and I want to hear yours.

So, come and view the Top Ten Wonky Christmas Movies here.


And don't forget to leave comments below, tweet me @filmbore or post on my Facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment